Sunday, October 17, 2010

Vegan Month: Day One

So, day one went pretty well. Breakfast for me this month is going to be a bit of a challenge because normally I have eggs and toast, and if I don't have that I have cereal with yogurt and fruit and if I don't have that, I have cereal with milk and fruit. I can now only have one of those things and I can't use real milk. I hate soy milk, so when I was ate Whole Foods yesterday, I picked up some almond milk and some coconut milk (the drinkable kind, not the stuff in the can) in case I didn't like one.

So this morning, it was Kashi Cinnamon Harvest Shredded Wheat with almond milk and a banana. The shredded wheat wasn't bad; I thought it could use a little more cinnamon, but I like my spices on the heavy side so that might just be me. And the almond milk was actually quite tasty; just a little different than regular milk, with less fat, less sugar, and a gram of fiber, which is very cool. :D Unfortunately it also costs four dollars for a half-gallon, which is not cool. D:

I also came to the realization today that I don't eat bananas because I like them, I eat them because they're there, and in the morning, they're the most convenient fruit to eat because they require no prep (unlike strawberries) and it's easy to eat them fast (unlike apples). Now, that isn't to say that there aren't really good bananas out there, and sometimes, when you get a banana at just the perfect ripeness it tastes amazing, but otherwise... I could live without them.

Then I had work at two, so I had lunch and dinner together, which was an apple, some grapes and Celery Root, Apple and Walnut salad from the Whole Foods deli. It wasn't bad; the salad is made up of the three aforementioned ingredients, wheat berries, quinoa, green onion, and raisins with a dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar dressing. It was a little dry, so I had to add some olive oil, and there wasn't much flavor to it besides the sweetness of the apple and the raisins, but the crunch of the walnuts was nice, and it made for a passable meal if you didn't have time to make one yourself. I wouldn't actively seek it out again, though.

On a side note, I love wheat berries. Why don't I have them more often?

That's all for now. Until next time, my duckies!

No comments:

Post a Comment