Saturday, May 1, 2010

DAY ONE

So, breakfast was fried eggs on toast with hot sauce. The fact that I will be eating eggs on this journey official classifies me as Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian. Some people may disagree with me and say that eggs count as meat, but I say no. Eggs as we eat them are unfertilized, ergo there is no life in them, ergo they are not meat. And on the off chance that there is life inside them, you're not going to eat it anyway. And if you do, then there's something wrong with you. Just saying.

Then I had to work, and since it was such a lovely day out I decided to bike there, which was a good idea, but getting there was a pain in the ass because of all the wind resistance. I think I was peddling twice as hard as normal on my route and my poor heart was screaming "OH GOD STOP. IT BURNS. IT BUUUUUUUUURNS" and my lungs were all "STOPITSTOPITSTOPIT JESUS CHRIST" but my stomach was like "STFU GUYS, THIS IS GOOD FOR US. GROW A BACKBONE ALREADY YOU BIG BABIES." Yes, that's right, my organs talk to each other. Because I'm just that awesome.

Lunch was a mango and a slice of banana bread, which was not such a good idea because I was starving by the time I got off, but luckily the bike ride home is all down hill, so it was much easier. By the way guys, if you're ever at Gloria Jean's and want to watch your calories, don't ever order any of our chillers. It's kind of appalling how much sugar they have. Even the so-called "low calorie" chillers aren't that great.

Dinner was leftover tomato soup with some bread. I love the tomato soup my family makes because it's delicious and creamy without being too fatty and ridiculously easy, so for tonight, that's the recipe.

Tomato Soup

2 tbsp. olive oil
1/3 c. finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. blended italian herbs (I use dried basil, thyme, and oregano)
2 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 c. milk (2% or higher, otherwise the taste gets thrown off)
10 oz. beef or chicken broth
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper/chili flakes (optional)
2 tbsp. freshly chopped basil (optional)

Heat the olive oil in a medium sized saucepan. Add the onions and garlic, and saute until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add the dried herbs and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the flour, and stir quickly to create a kind of paste, also known as a roux. Add tomato paste and brown sugar, and stir until pasty once again. Add the broth; using a whisk, vigorously whisk the paste until it breaks up. Add milk in a slow, steady stream; otherwise it will curdle. Add crushed tomatoes and stir until throughly blended. If using cayenne and/or basil, add and stir. Simmer on low heat for twelve minutes. Serve warm and with garlic bread.

Garlic Bread

1 loaf crusty bread
4 tbsp. butter or olive oil (they both have their benefits. I leave the decision up to you.)
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed

(Melt the butter if using.) Add the crushed garlic to butter/olive oil and stir to integrate. Brush onto both sides of the bread. Grill bread in a pan or on a griddle on medium-low heat until browned on both sides; this will take various amounts of time depending on how much oil/butter is on your bread, heat or your pan/griddle, and how thick or warped your bread is. Serve warm.

I'd post pictures, but I don't have any. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment